Friday, October 19, 2012

Paper forms at the Library of Congress

Forms, forms and more forms! Even at the Library of Congress!

I recently saw a great demo for a new feature from our Software Partner Hyland- Unity Forms. It made me think back to the very arduous experience I had this past week at the Library of Congress. As many people are probably wondering how a common person gets a library of Congress "Library card" or searches the largest library in the Country- I thought I would share.

The Library of Congress not only has a massive collection of books, but is in itself a massive collection of buildings (all connected underground with walkways). After checking out the main building (Jefferson), I got the crazy notion that I should locate a few books written by my father. So after filling out a paper form in the basement of the Madison building (standard name, phone, address, etc.)- I was directed to fill out the SAME form on the computer (the exact same form!). Then a nice lady had to search to find my computer form, check it against my paper form AND still type in additional info from my ID. CRAZY!

Things just got better from there- I was directed to the periodicals and research room where a nice man did a search for me (after filling out a short form) and then printed out 2 pages in which we could still not determine if the books would be on the shelf or offsite in storage. I'm in this at least 45 min at this point. Then I was directed to the Adam's building (as the science collection is housed here) and guess what - was asked to fill out - yes, you guessed it - Another form. And it would be a minimum of an hour before my book(s) could be pulled (if they were actually there). So yes, I gave up.

So you probably understand why I am thrilled that Hyland has created the absolute easiest way to create and manage forms of all types- (internal & external). Hyland's Unity Forms simplify the creation of advanced forms using an integrated, point-and-click Forms Designer that greatly reduces the time and specialized skill required to build forms for use in OnBase. These forms can be sent as a link within an email, embedded in a website and can even be viewed on electronic pads & allow a "finger-drawn" signature. 

Just imagine how much faster and more efficient the process of researching at The Library of Congress could be with Hyland's Unity Forms: Just one form, accessible from internal computers or external - one that contained your standard info - registering you AND kicking off a workflow to help them locate your book , and then notifying you when it was ready for viewing. Just imagine how that could change the course of history! 

To find out more about Unity Forms or how a Paperless Solution could help your business:
sales@psiimage.com or 215.266.0848

To find out more about the Library of Congress: http://www.loc.gov/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment